Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A thought occurred to me this morning like a pigeon settling onto a statue. Before it flies away, or takes a dump on my shoulder, I'd better write it down.

The word " Monster " has crept into my language lately. The monster has taken on different forms, but its essence has been out there, looming. Making an occasional appearance here and there. In this blog. In my book. In my mind.

I used the word this morning in an email to the monologuist Mike Daisey ( Daisey, Daisey, give me your answer do. And he did ) I'd emailed him, and he emailed me back. He's performing in Cambridge this week and I wanted to wish him luck. He got back to me. Then I got back to him. Mentioned Spalding Gray, with whom his name has been associated. Gray had this monolog called " Monster in a Box. " It was about the Gaudi cathedral like process of writing a book, a book Spalding had been working on for years and years. That's what I've been doing and mentioned that to Mike Daisey. Talked about my " monster. "

Then, of course, there's the writing I just did for Monster.com.

And then there is that Green Monster, the wall in whose shadow Red Sox left fielder
Manny Ramirez tries to play the game of defensive baseball.

Monsters lurking in shadows. Words that keep coming up for air. For what all that's worth.

OK Mr. Pigeon ( I'll call you Walter, if you don't mind ) You can fly away now. And thanks for not leaving a calling card.

No comments: