Sunday, May 6, 2007

YouTube - The Godfather

It's said that the RICO laws erased The Mafia from the American map. That's probably true, but it misses the point. There's a reason why The Godfather and The Sopranos are so hugely popular. People see themselves and their co-workers and their bosses in the characters. The American workplace is thick with mob like figures, people who cheat and lie and think it's OK because that's what Gandolfini and Brando and Al Pacino do and did. And look where it got them. I know. I know. This is a cynical view, and maybe it's just because I live and have worked in Rhode Island for the past four years.

But it was true, at least to a certain extent when I was working in the neighboring state of Connecticut. I'll never forget what my friend said to me on the day I quit one of the ad agencies I worked for, and where he continued to work for awhile.

He said of a couple of the guys with their names on the door:

" I stopped trusting them when they started to wear those fedoras. " YouTube - The Godfather

No comments: