Thursday, March 29, 2007

YouTube - Vicious Underground - Busload of Faith (Lou Reed)

I'm slipping over that line that's drawn in the sand, the one that separates the cynics from the skeptics... As Mortimer Adler has written, a moderate degree of skepticism is healthy. Cynicism, or as Adler calls it, extreme skepticism ( Another word for it is Pyrrhonism, after that philosophical elder statesman Pyrro ) isn't so healthy. I'm getting to the point where I don't believe anyone anymore.

Take Jonathan Papelbon for example. And Theo Epstein. Who the hell are they? Are they philosophers? you might well ask. Are they politicians? No. Papelbon is a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox and Theo is the general manager. Theo is also the grandson and grandnephew of the screenwriters who penned " Casablanca. " That's thought by many film mavins to be the best screenplay of all time. So it comes as no surprise, or shouldn't that Theo's a major league liar. What is fiction and creative writing if not lie after lie after lie, one piled on top of the other. Did I mention? Theo's father is the head of the creative writing program at Boston University.

I won't bore you non baseball fans with the details about what happened with Jonathan Papelbon. Suffice it to say, telling the truth ain' t exactly in this guy Theo's DNA.

Where was I?

LiarLand. FibVille. Mudville. That's where.

I have this Tourette's like thing going whenever I get into a position where I'm slipping over some kind of line drawn in the sand. After my latest Fredo sighting on TV, I did what I do in cases like this:

I break out into poetry.

You're A Lyin' Sack of Shit

By Terrence McCarthy


I won't pull my punches
I'm going with my hunches
I saw you and heard you today.

There's so little doubt
You've abused your clout
And your " word? "
I don't Bee-Leeve it.

A sack of shit's what you are,
You're lyin'
And you do it, it seems, without even tryin'

You're a bag of wind,
And a fiend, too
I can't help but demean you


You lyin' sack of shit,
You don't care about IT,
IT being truth that's so rare in these days.

I hope someone gets ya
For these lies that you're tellin'
I hope I can calm down and stop all my yellin'

Will it happen?
Dunno
But I'm praying, I'm praying,
That come April you'll be doing title searches for folks buying haciendas
In Mexico.

I know, I know. Not exactly Robert Lowell. Maybe I should leave it to Lou to talk about lies, and faith and all that...
YouTube - Vicious Underground - Busload of Faith (Lou Reed)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've said it before now I'll say it again...and we wonder where the new Cole Porters are coming from. Ecce homo.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if my good friend from the great state of Chad, er, Florida, is commenting on Lou Reed's lyrical skills, or mine. I'm surprised he didn't call me on ( Almost ) stealing a title from Jacob Gershowitz, AKA George Gershwin. Who penned that classic:

Rhapsody in Brown

Anonymous said...

Oops. I seem to have stolen the identity of the gentleman from western Connecticut. The last post was from Terry #2, not Terry #1. I know. I know. It's hard to keep us straight.