Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace was quoted as saying homosexuality is immoral. That's been a big news story for the past two days. I just read a story in a blog I peruse regularly about some lesbian parties thrown during a time when this blogger was a young 2nd lieutenant. The lesbians intimidated a woman, who came to this guy, seeking his help. He tried to do something about it. Went up the chain of command. Nothing happened.

The behavior of the specific homosexuals about which the blogger wrote was, as far as I'm concerned, as immoral as it gets. The lack of leadership ( I'm not talking about him; he seems to have done all the right things ) was appalling. There's a disconnect here and now. Now we have a leader, The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, taking a stand on the general ( no pun intended ) " problem. " Yet I'm willing to bet, those specific cases,like the one the 2nd lieutenant had experience with, aren't being talked about and addressed.

( Shades of Building #18 on the Walter Reed campus? )

What's wrong here? What's worse? The behavior, potential and otherwise, of the homosexuals in the military? Or the lack of leadership among those higher up in the chain of command?I went to a military college and served four years in the Air Force. I shared barracks space with a lot of young guys in that time. Not once did I see, hear about or perceive any homosexual activity. Heterosexual activity on the other hand, sneaking young women into the barracks, etc. That's another story.

I'm talking years of experience eating, working, sleeping in a military environment. Odds are there were a lot of homosexuals eating, working and sleeping near me. Who among the military men I shared space were gay? I have no idea.This was in the late 1960s and early 1970s. If there were cadres of partying gay men and lesbians serving with me, I think I would have known about it. I think my superiors would have known about it, and done something about it. The lieutenant's story is an amazing one, and says much about the military culture of which he was a part.

Boys will be boys. Partying predatory lesbians will be partying lesbians. If leaders turn their backs on the responsibility of dealing with the bad apples. Pace spoke in general terms. I'm wondering: Is there more to this story than meets the eye?

No comments: