Saturday, June 2, 2007

I used to define myself by the games I played. I played basketball. I played soccer. I played golf. I played baseball and softball. And pool. These days? I play tennis.

I hadn't played tennis in more than a year. My partner, my wife, had shoulder surgery last October. Rotator Cuff surgery. Tennis is her passion. Running was. She used to run 10 K races. Then tennis took over. She got as good at that as she had been at running. She's coached a high school varsity team. She's good. Real good.

Then she had to give it up. Completely. She had to give up the thing that defined her. How hard was that? I can't imagine. Well, I'm a writer. So I guess I can imagine that. What would it be like?

It would be like not writing for as long as Donna has not played tennis.

I said to her last week, " Let's go out and hit some balls. " We did that. The next day we did it again. We did it again this morning. She's playing tennis again. And so am I. I hit one to her, she hits it back. She hits one to me and I do the same. Back and forth, forth and back. Thwock. Thwok. Thwock...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Donna's coming along just fine. I told you so. Fred

Anonymous said...

Hope your back is healing likewise, Fred.

Anonymous said...

Thwock. Yes.

I love the game, and learned my groundstroke the city way, where it takes three to rally. Three kids in the street-- two get to hit while the third is the sentry, yelling "Car!" when necessary.

I didn't touch a tennis ball last year--for me it was back surgery--but my club's got 3 new Har-Tru courts this summer and I am ready to play! Tell your wife to respect her body's healing process and to welcome her game back slowly. It'll be back.

Anonymous said...

My readers all seem to have something in common. Either their names are Terry, or they've had back surgery lately. Eat your heart out Don DeLillo!

And I just love that tennis story with the Third Man yelling " Car! "

If you grew up in Greenwich, he'd have been screaming, " Beamer! "

Anonymous said...

Look back to your original postings after (Mel's) surgery...
And now, look at where things are today. Progress Notes!
A word to the wise...Take it slowly...
We get defined by different things as we grow older.

Anonymous said...

Progress Notes indeed. Thanks for words of wisdom. You been there done that, you tri-athlete you.

And hubby Ben.